The Carquinez Bridge which spans the Carquinez Strait between Vallejo and Crocket is actually two bridges. The eastbound span is a cantilever bridge completed in 1958. The westbound span is a suspension bridge completed in 2003, with Channel Lumber providing products and services throughout various phases of its construction.
The original Carquinez bridge was built in 1927, and provided for three lanes of traffic. This was the first major structure built for crossing the bay. Prior to the bridge, Carquinez Strait was navigated via ferry service six miles from the current bridge crossing.
After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, the 1927 span of the bridge was surveyed and deemed no longer safe for passage. At that time traffic was consolidated on the 1958 cantilever span, while the original bridge was demolished.
The new Carquinez Bridge is outfitted with 33 wireless “nodes” which collect and transmit data about the structure. This allows engineers to monitor the bridge closely, and undertake any needed repairs efficiently. The bridge currently operates 8 lanes handling 100,000 cars per day.
Contact Channel Lumber for more information about our projects, products, and services.
Photo credit: Jeffrey-Anthony
At Channel Lumber we are proud to offer a wide variety of industry leading products and services. From lumber and plywood to hardware to lumber grading, Channel Lumber has a depth of professional solutions for large and small scale construction projects. Here is an outline of 5 products and services at Channel Lumber.
- Green Building. Channel Lumber is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), and works closely with the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED®). The FSC® has a 10 point mission which protects and preserves our forests globally. These include protecting the rights of indigenous peoples, maintaining long term social and economic well being of forest workers, conserving biodiversity, water resources, soils, assessing conditions of forests, and maintaining of high conservation value forests. Forests cover 30% of the Globe, with 70% of animals living in forests. LEED® is symbol of achievement in Green Building. LEED® provides a framework by which all building projects can be rated for sustainability. Their goal is to create highly efficient, cost effective, healthy Green Buildings.
- Concrete Forms. Concrete is a very versatile material in that it can be molded into a wide variety of useful shapes. Concrete forms are wooden forms which outline and mold the concrete while it dries. Channel Lumber is an industry leader in concrete forms, which have given shape to countless projects including Caldecott Tunnel, Golden Gate Bridge retrofit, and Levi Stadium.
- Mill Work. Channel Lumber offers top notch mill work. Perhaps you have a unique design that requires custom wood. Channel Lumber can mill the wood to your specs. Or perhaps you are renovating a house, and can’t find a perfect match for a beam. Channel Lumber can make it.
- Sidings. Channel Lumber has stock siding in several materials including cement, plywood, hardwood, shingles, and metal. If you don’t find what you are looking for or have a custom design, Channel Lumber can build it to your specs.
- Project Management. For over 50 years Channel Lumber has consulted with architects, contracts, engineers, and city planners to help navigate large development projects in the most efficient, cost effective way. By working with the design team from the earliest stages of a project, Channel Lumber can effectively help with material selection, and help process the difficult building regulations here in northern California so that costly delays can be avoided.
For more information about our products and services, please contact us.